• wordpress hit counter
  • Welcome to the PiPP weblog! A site dedicated to providing you with information on every stage of your pregnancy journey....come on in...stay awhile...join in the conversation! Come visit our facebook page... Partners in Pregnancy and Parenting (PiPP) is an initiative of the Indian River Healthy Start Coalition and the Indian River Medical Center. It is funded in part by the United Way of Indian River county.
  • Watch the video

  • Categories

  • This internet blog provides information of a general nature and is designed for the purpose of education, and information. If you have any concerns about your health or the health of your baby, you should always consult with a physician or other healthcare professional.
  • Advertisements

Will one glass of beer or wine hurt??


Drinking alcohol while you are pregnant can cause your baby to be born with both physical and mental birth defects. The most serious concern is a condition called fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS). FAS is one of the most common causes of mental retardation.

No one knows exactly how much alcohol a woman has to drink to cause birth defects in her baby. That level may differ from woman to woman. So experts agree that the best thing to do is not to drink alcohol at all while you are pregnant—that includes beer, wine, wine coolers and liquor.

If a woman takes an occasional drink before she knows she is pregnant, it probably won’t harm her baby. But she should stop drinking alcohol as soon as she thinks she may be pregnant.

What you can do:
Stay away from alcohol while you are pregnant. If you find it hard to say no, avoid parties, bars and other places where people are drinking alcohol.

If you have a problem stopping, get help. There is no more important time to stop than when you are pregnant.

Some resources in Indian River County that can help:

Alchohol’s Anonymous (closed support groups for people that want to stop drinking)- (772)562-1114

Substance Abuse Council- (772) 770-4811

Contact the National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence (NCADD), (800) NCA-CALL (622-2255).







Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: